Movies have always been the greatest inspiration for young adults, especially when it comes to emerging entrepreneurs. Here are 10 movies that inspire me to pursue greatness in business and beyond:
- The Social Network: This is the story of Facebook founder and the world’s youngest billionaire, Mark Zuckerberg. The focus is on how Mark turned his simple social-networking website (then called “The Facebook”) into a worldwide phenomenon. As the movie’s tagline suggests, you don’t reach a billion members without making a few enemies, which suggests that the journey from Harvard to social media hero doesn’t come without its hurdles.
- Pirates of Silicon Valley: This is a true story about how two 20-year-old students “stole back” the computer industry from the big giants; specificially, Microsoft and Apple. This movie is a must-watch.
- Jerry Maguire: This Tom Cruise vehicle highlights how one man (a sports agent named Jerry) can sucessfully manage, support and train a player of epic egotistical proportions. What makes this movie especially powerful is Jerry’s ability to weigh success against the simpler things in life, and how he’s able to move beyond the glitz and glamour of fame and fortune to achieve a sense of peace.
- Wall Street (1987) & Wall Street 2: These two Oliver Stone-directed movies aptly portray how a powerful man can manipulate the entire stock market and make a significant amount of money using only his instincts and brain. It’s a complex movie, but well worth the watch.
- Startup.com: This is a documentary film highlighting the adventures of childhood friends, Kaleil Isaza Tuzman and Tom Herman, as they create an award-winning website that lets citizens interact with their local governments.
- The Secret: The movie that can change humankind! Based on the best-selling book, “The Secret,” this movie is not only for young entrepreneurs but for everyone reading this post. This is at the top of my must-watch list.
- Pursuit of Happyness: Starring Will Smith, this film is based on a true story of a man who believes so badly in a product that he loses his house, wife and money while trying to sell it. He’s left with only himself and his son, though his passion is as strong as ever. This movie offers an important lesson about the power of passion and the steps it takes to get to where you want to be.
- Boiler Room: Welcome to the new “American Dream.” This movie is about an intelligent kid who drops out of college and takes a job at a brokerage firm. While there, he meets with great success, while having to battle the competition and explore what success really means to him.
- Catch Me if You Can: Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, this is a true story about a young con man who successfully impersonates an airline pilot, lawyer and doctor. What’s amazing about this film (and the life of Frank Abegnale, Jr., whose life the film is based on) is how Leonardo’s character achieved so much under such pressure. Legal or not, business is business, and Frank was one of the best at what he did.
- The Aviator: This is a biopic depicting the early years of director and aviator Howard Hughes’s career, which lasted from the late 1920s to the mid 1940s. It wasn’t the ridiculous amount of money Howard made or the accolades he earned that made him so great; it was his attention to detail that set him apart from the competition.
Thanks to Chirag Dodiya and Avish Hakani for the list inspiration and original article contribution!