In this interview, we spotlight new EO member Thomas Michael, CEO of Michael Management Corporation.
- What are you hoping to get out of your EO journey? Why did you join?
“In the past, as a CEO I sometimes found myself with many questions and few answers. It’s lonely on top, and having a group of likeminded entrepreneurs around me is a critical part of my own success.”
- When did you know you wanted to become an entrepreneur … what was that “a-ha” moment?
“I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old, I asked my grandmother if she would like me to draw a picture for her. When she said yes, I charged her a nickel for it (after all, it was clearly work-for-hire). After college, I realized very quickly that I ‘wanted to do my own thing.'”
- What’s the biggest—or most common—mistake you see entrepreneurs make when it comes to managing their business or employees?
“My top three: Working on the urgent instead of the important; hiring only when you need someone instead of constant talent acquisition; and running out of cash.”
- What do you want your legacy to be, and how do you plan on getting there?
“I feel a bit too young to think about my legacy right now … but I hope that whatever I do, it will have made a difference to some people in a positive way.”
- What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned about entrepreneurship so far?
“Use common sense, block out the naysayers and listen to your gut – mine hasn’t failed me yet!”
Categories: EO News