By Marc Isaacson, president of The Village Green Apothecary.
How to Increase Employee Productivity with a Plan for Healthy Living
The success of any company depends on the productivity and performance of its employees. Providing education and motivation to improve individual health can produce valuable rewards for both employees and employers. Benefits of a corporate wellness program can include:
- Lower healthcare costs
- Decreased rates of chronic disease, injury, disability, and absenteeism
- Increased employee productivity and efficiency
- Improved morale, lower stress levels, and enhanced employee retention
The Numbers Tell the Story
- More than 133 million Americans (45% of the population) have at least one chronic condition, and spending on chronic diseases accounts for 75% of healthcare costs.
- In 2007, U.S. healthcare spending represented 17% of the gross domestic product (GDP), and it is expected to increase for the next decade, reaching $4.3 trillion (20% of GDP) in 2017.
- Premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance have risen 131% in the last 10 years.
- Nearly 40 percent of U.S. workers experience fatigue, which carries overall estimated costs of more than $136 billion per year in lost productivity.5,7 Major factors influencing fatigue are poor food choices, lack of exercise, dehydration, poor sleep, and stress.
For more information, and for a six-month plan to healthy living, click here.